Friday 15 July 2011

A cupcake & a hot air balloon too

Hi there! I'm back again to show you two more cards from my Cupcakes & More class. Both cards are made with the Create a Cupcake set & matching punch, plus the scallop square duo die.
First up, a bright & fun card with a little party scene complete with cupcake & mini pennant banner.
This is a very quick & easy card  thanks to the cupcake set & punch, plus the cute itty bitty punch flower. The only fiddly bit is cutting & attaching the pennants, but here's a suggestion to make this easier if you need lots.

Tip - Making lots of pennants
Use a template to cut your triangles, like this 1.5cm wide one below I made in ms word. Cut a strip of dsp, attach a strip of sizzix adhesive sheet to the back, then hold triangle template on top of dsp & cut out individual triangles.
As an aside, I used a bigger version of this template for the ice cream cones in this card.

Hot air balloon birthday
Next up, I showed the girls how to quickly turn a cupcake into a hot air balloon.  This is a really simple but effective card that could work for many occasions & people, just by changing the colours or sentiment.
I really liked the colour scheme (although the colours don't look quite right here. Sorry, I've taken so many pics & the camera just won't give me the true colours!)
Balloon Tips
- The basket is stamped with a one of the cupcake bases in the set,
- The balloon is a 1 3/8 inch (35mm) circle.
- The basket strings are just very thin strips of chocolate card.
- The clouds are the cupcake top.

My inspiration for the balloon & cloud layout was from a lovely card with a background stamped with a clear acrylic block, that I saw on a Convention display board. I don't know if it was a swap or a SU sample, but I really liked it. If you know who made it, or it's yours, please leave me a comment & I'll happily credit it to you.

Anyway, hope you like these ideas. Leave me a comment if you have need any other info or just want to say hi. I'll be back next time with the last card from the class.

Inky wishes, Di

Supplies
Both Cards
Stamps: Create a Cupcake
Tools: Build a cupcake punch, Big Shot, Scallop Square duo die, itty bitty punch pack

Cupcake Card
Card/Paper: old olive, rich razzleberry, so saffron, whisper white card, Brights patterns DSP (old olive, rich razzleberry & melon mambo), Sunny Garden DSP
Ink: rich razzleberry, melon mambo
Accessories: basic rhinestone

Hot air balloon birthday
Card/Paper: marina mist, peach parfait, pear pizzazz, whisper white, baja breeze, choc chip card, Sweet & Sour DSP
Ink: marina mist, chocolate chip ink pads
Accessories: basic pearl
Tools: 1 3/8 inch (35mm) circle punch

3 comments:

H2 :) said...

Cute cards Diane! Love the bright, fun colours & the scalloped frames for your "scenes".
I always seem to have trouble photographing blue as well. :)

Christine Blain said...

Gorgeous, Di! I wish I could come to your classes!!! The little hot air balloon is just so cute; what a great idea.

kareN stampZ said...

This is just too cute - might have to make a few for my stash