Monday 18 July 2011

love letter handbag

Hi there. Today I'm sharing the final card from my Cupcakes & More class. For this one, I wanted to show a more elegant look, so we made this handbag card.
It shares the similar layout, cupcake set & punch to the other three cards, but the classy Love Letter DSP, black satin ribbon & Elements of Style flourish stamp help give it a very different look. I thought the sentiment went really well with the handbags too - love this sentiment!
I added another handbag inside, with the happy birthday greeting, but forgot to take a pic - doh! In any case, here's a close-up of the handbags
Tips for making handbags
There are lots of different ways you can make handbags, but here's how I made these ones.
1. Base - Punch a cupcake base from DSP. I so loved how the spotty dsp I used here works so well with the scallop edge of the base - small things!)
2. Handle - Punch a 3/4 inch circle from scrap card, then centre & punch a 1 inch circle over the 3/4 inch hole, to make a ring. Attach the ring to the back of the DSP, so it lines up with the cupcake top. I used 2 way glue to attach mine.
3. Flap - Punch a scallop oval, cut off 5 scallops from either end (see pic below - makes 2 flaps) then attach to top of  base. Add a basic rhinestone, pearl or brad to finish.
There are lots of other handbag variations you can try too:
- use the 2 oval punches to make a longer handle
- use the base right way up
- use different flap shapes - a circle, oval, modern label
- stamp a base instead of using DSP
- add a punched itty bitty flower for fun

 My inspiration for the handbags came from a lovely baja & chocolate card with 3 handbags on the display board at Convention. I don't know who made it, but if it's your or you know who made it, just leave a comment & link if you have one & I'll add it here.

So, that's all the class cards. Here's a final pic of all the cards together.
(click for a bigger pic)
Which was your favourite? I was really pleased with how the handbag one turned out & is probably an equal fave with the ice cream card. I hope they've given you some more ideas to try. I do have a couple more cupcake projects from my June workshops, as well as some other projects, so I'll be back with more soon I hope.

Inky wishes, Di

Supplies:
Stamps: Create a Cupcake, Elements of Style
Card/Paper: riding hood red, naturals ivory, basic black, very vanilla, Love Letter DSP
Ink: cherry cobbler, crumb cake
Accessories: black satin ribbon, basic rhinestones
Tools: Big Shot, Scallop square duo die

4 comments:

Sandra Azzopardi said...

Too cute! I love those little handbags! Thanks for the tutorial on how to make them.

Andrea said...

Those little handbags are just adorable. Very clever! :)

Christine Blain said...

Gorgeous, Di! Thanks for the instructions; you're a gem xx

Christie Kunkel said...

Hi Di,
It looks like a great class!