Monday 19 March 2012

Scallop envelope boxes - starring Easy Events

Hi there! Tonight's project is the little box of cards I made for my friend Jo, as a thank you pressie for being a lovely hostess. The box is made with one of my first dies & still a fave - the scallop envelope.
Like the card we made at the workshop, I used the Easy Events stamp set for the box & cards... plus a ring-in stamp from the Summer Fun set (a new set I've been looking forward to colouring with). Here are the cards I made, which I hope gave Jo some ideas of how she could colour with the set.
I coloured the images mainly with ink pads & my aquapainter.
click on the pic to see a bigger version
The card fronts are 7.5cm square, so they're very quick to do & don't need a lot of supplies to look cute. All the watercoloured images are stamped on watercolour paper & decorated with punched or die cut shapes & some DSP (more Patterns & Everyday Enchantment SAB paper) or card.
Back to the box for a sec. Here's a pic of the empty box, in case you haven't seen one before. As I mentioned, it's made with just 2 scallop envelopes & a strip of scored card adhered between them.
I was really happy with how the finished box turned out & hope Jo liked it too.

Square Scallop Envelope Box
I mentioned yesterday that I didn't have pics of my demo project, but Jo kindly sent me one today. Thanks Jo! It's made with the scallop envelope die too & as you'll see, I had to add another scrunched flower made with the doily punch & a SAB brad. Obsessed!
I think the scallop edge makes this such a pretty box. It's also great for post-it-notes & can be turned into a basket by adding a handle.
So what does this clever die look like? See the pic below. The funny thing is that used it tons, but  never as an envelope...even though its very cute!
I've made lots of other projects with this die, but I can't find them on my blog, so I'm going to have to investigate! That's all from me for today, so I'll say bye for now. Thanks for visiting & leave a comment if you have any questions.
Inky wishes, Di

Supplies:
Scallop Envelope Box of Cards
Stamps: Easy Events, Summer Fun
Card/Paper: pool party, very vanilla, poppy parade, calypso coral, island indigo card, watercolour paper, Patterns DSP (in colours 11-13 & Subtles), Everyday Enchantment DSP
Ink: jet black staz on, pool party, island indigo, poppy parade, calypso coral, old olive, lucky limeade, daffodil delight ink pads or markers
Tools: Aquapainter, Big Shot, Scallop envelope die, Circles #2 die (2 inch circle), punches - decorative label, 2 3/8 inch scallop, 1 3/4 inch circle, word window, wide oval

Square Box
Card/Paper: pool party, calypso coral, poppy parade card, Everyday Enchantment DSP
Accessories: Everyday Enchantment brad (SAB)
Tools: Big Shot, Scallop envelope die, doily triple layer punch

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Love this! Could you post a quick explanation of how you did the adorable s run he'd flower? I'm a follower and a BIG fan !
Barbararoberts01005@yahoo.comk

Andrea said...

Hi Di!

You've outdone yourself again with this set. It's just gorgeous. It has really inspired me to make a set just like it.

It's such a clever use of the envelope die. We can always count of you for wonderfully novel ideas.

Please keep them coming!

Joanne said...

I can't thank you enough for my workshop, I have learned so much from you and you always have so much more to teach and share. My little gifts were awesome and, as I told you, I had to hide them from Rachael. Now I have instructions I can make her one of her own. You are awesome :)

Diane Barnes said...

Hi Barbara
You asked for info on the flowers. There's an explanation in my side spring card post on how to make them...which I've added to here:

I made the flowers with a combination of 3 punches - the fancy flower, triple layer doily & largest boho blossom. Just put all the layers together with a brad (I used our gorgeous antique brads), then wet & scrunch each layer (push up towards the centre), then gently open up each scrunched layer & leave to dry in your preferred shape. You can carefully use a heat tool if you're impatient.

For the big flowers, I think I used 2-3 fancy flowers, 3 doilies (with holes) & 2 of the largest boho blossoms.

For the small calypso coral flower in this post, I just used 4 doilies (1 poppy parade - plain, 3 coral doilies with holes & 2 boho blossoms.

Hope that helps.
Di

Diane Barnes said...

Hi again Barbara. I tried to e-mail you the info, but I keep getting an undeliverable message.
Di

H2 :) said...

Sweet, sweet project Di. Love the combination of watercoloured images & papers. Your set makes a memorable hostess gift. :)