Friday 12 May 2017

More shadow box cards & a tutorial for you


I said in my first balloon shadow box post that I'd share more shadow box cards, and a tutorial to make your own, so after an unexpected delay I'm back to do just that.  Get comfy as I have lots of tips, a tutorial & ideas for you to see & do.

Dragonfly Dreams Birthday


First up is my favourite shadow box card so far - using the fabulous Dragonfly Dreams stamp set & Detailed Dragonfly dies.


Like my other shadow box cards, the Balloon Pop-up die is the key to making that fabulous window inside. Sadly it's retiring this month, so you MUST get it now before it sells out. As of today, stocks are still available in Aus. Phew! Let's take a closer look at the card.



The card front is all about the boldness of the fabulous dragonflies & (again) my favourite ever birthday sentiment, Stylized Birthday. I stamped the dragonflies in night of navy, sponged pool party & flirty flamingo ink over the top, then cut them out with the dies. I added 2 sponged vellum dragonflies behind too. Easy!

I stamped the sentiment on white card, then used my trusty sponge brayers to create a soft background - again with flirty flamingo & pool party ink. I finished with the dotty stamp (also from Dragonfly Dreams.


Onto the inside. First, I cut out the the window with the Balloon Pop-up thinlit die (which fits perfectly in the panel), then I cut away the balloon bits I didn't need, leaving just a little piece to support the left wings. I also left part of the banner to mount the sentiment. I attached the dragonflies with just a touch of tombow multi-purpose adhesive. I sponged two more white panels with the sponge brayer & dotty stamp - one behind the window & one on the left.

Important! Get the discounted Dragonfly Dreams bundle before 31 May, as the stamps & dies can only be purchased separately at full price from 1 June.

See & order all the supplies you need to make this card at the bottom of this post :)



Balloon Adventures Birthday


This was the first card that started the shadow box card obsession, designed together with my stamping bestie, Kellie. I think this one really shows how fabulous & easy it is to work with the Balloon Pop-Up dies & Balloon Adventures stamp set. I can't remind you enough that these are on sale & retiring so only available while stocks last until 31 May.

I can imagine this card in all sorts of colours for many, many occasions. So quick & easy to do with minimal supplies, yet packs a real wow. It also includes a technique you'll definitely want to try.


I love the clean, simplicity of the front. A simple white panel to reflect the inside shadow box, 3 balloons (popped up with dimensionals) & a great sentiment. Done!

Are you thinking, 'I don't remember seeing that balloon stamp in the set'? You'd be correct. Kellie made her own stamp using the dotty die in the set. Such a cool way to make your dies do double duty. The foam stamp worked beautifully with our ink pads, as you can see from the lovely solid image on the card! It won't last as long as a real stamp, but the beauty is you can cut a new one when you need it.

See below for how to make your own stamps with dies. Back to the card, though, the fun is all inside.


The pop up does most of the work design work for you. All I needed to do was add some stamped & punched balloons & a banner, in watermelon wonder, night of navy & mint macaron. Some sponge brayering in mint macaron gives a soft ombre look to the other panels. If you want a quicker result, plain mint macaron card would work too.

Top Tip: You'll never run out of coloured cardstock when you have white card, the sponge brayer & ink pads.

See & order all the supplies you need to make this card at the bottom of this post :) Remember the Balloon Adventures & Balloon dies are on sale until they retire and are only available while stocks last until 31 May.

Make your own stamps with dies


1. Cut the die shape you want with 3mm fun foam. We used the dotty balloon die in the Balloon Pop-Up die set.

2. Cut a few extra die cut shapes with cardstock & adhere them to each other & the back of foam. This helps support the foam & makes the stamp last longer. We used the coordinating balloon punch to back our stamp.
3. Spread a little multi-purpose adhesive on the back of the card & leave to dry. This gives a tacky surface to attach the stamp to the block
4. Attach stamp to clear block & stamp away!

Bonus Tip: The foam stamps hold lots of ink so they're great for generation stamping too.


Shadow Box Card Tutorial & Templates

First I'd like to again acknowledge & thank  Dawn Griffiths for generously sharing the shadow box card that mine is adapted from. You can find Dawn's shadow box card video tutorial on her blog. 

Notes about my tutorial
My shadow box card can be cut from one sheet of A4 or 12x12 card.

A4 cardstock version - This tutorial & template is based on standard A4 card, & all measurements are in centimetres. Follow this if you're in Aus, NZ, Europe & anywhere else using A4 card.

US-Canadian friends
- Please follow my 12x12 cardstock instructions & template to cut the shadow box card in one piece. Measurements are provided in inches.

8-1/2 x 11 inch cardstock is not long enough to cut in one piece. If you only have this sized card, I'd suggest you follow
Dawn's shadow box card video tutorial.

  

Download Tips
All my tutorials are hosted in Google Drive. Please click on the link above to view the tutorial pdf.
You'll see tutorial  & these options at the top of the screen.


To download to your computer or device, click the icon of the arrow with a line below (download).
Do not choose the share icon - person with +, as this will not work.

Some final reminders before you go...

I really hope you enjoy making your own shadow box cards. Please leave a comment with a link if you make your own, so I can see them too :)

* Order the Balloon Pop-Up dies & Balloon Adventures stamp set before they're sold out. Links below. They're even on sale now - order them separately to get the discount.
* Get the discounted Dragonfly Dreams bundle before it's back to full price on 1 June. Link below
* See all my shadow box cards here
* Pin the collage image below onto Pinterest so you can find it later & to hopefully inspire others too.

So glad you could visit today. Leave me a comment if you've enjoyed my shadow box cards & tutorial. Come back soon for lots more ideas too.

Inky wishes,
Di

Order supplies to make your own shadow box cards

To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one.  Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order.
Actual items I used are listed first. Alternative purchase options are listed at the bottom of the supply list.


Supplies - Dragonfly Dreams shadow box card

Product List
Big Shot
$159.00

Supplies - Balloon Adventures shadow box card

Print Recipe
Product List
Big Shot
$159.00

No comments: