Hello & welcome! Today I have another Sale-a-bration Hippest Hippos stamps & Hippos dies idea to share with you - a fun beach themed birthday card. The Hippos dies includes so many fun accessories to create lots of different different scenes for your hippos.
This card was part of the Summer in Winter class I ran earlier in July. It's the middle of a very wet Winter here in Sydney, Australia so I was craving sun and warmth, and what's more summery than the beach. I wanted to show how to build scenes, mixing quite a few products & techniques to create it.
Sea - To create subtle variation I randomly stamped the long 'sea' from Let's Set Sail in versamark on Pool Party card.
Sand - I stamped Sahara Sand card with a speckle stamp from the Oceanfront set, then cut with the largest die in the Deckled die set to create the wavy edge.
Fun fact - Most of the die cut shapes used to create the scene (from Palms and Hippos die sets were cut in white card then coloured with Stampin' Blends markers. It makes cutting quick & easy and you can decide what colours to use later. This is great when you don't have the card colour you want too and it's easy to add shading & pattern with the markers too - see the palm tree.
Inside is another cute hippo. I've mixed and matched sentiments - 'love you a ton' from Hippest Hippos, and 'hoping all your birthday fishes come true' from Whale Done stamp set. I love being able to mix and match to fit a theme.
I finished my card after class and played around a bit with the layout, making the sandy section taller & moved the sentiment to the bottom.
Inside I used another sentiment from Amazing Year & added more flowers.
Here is the full list of stamps and elements used on both cards. You'll find and can shop all the supplies used here in my Stampin' Up! store.
- Hippo bodies: Smoky Slate / Balmy Blue.
- Hippo dress, snorkel & inside flower & hearts: Fresh Freesia Blends or card
- Sunglasses: Dark Pool Party, Dark Smoky Slate
- Base: Coastal Cabana
- Sunny background: Rays of Light background stamp inked in Daffodil Delight. (see below)
- Sea: Pool party cardstock randomly stamped in clear Versamark with the long 'sea' stamp from Let's Set Sail (see below).
- Sand: Speckle stamp from Oceanfront and wavy edge using Deckled dies (see below).
- Boat: Hippos dies set - Silver foil specialty pack. Propeller coloured with light Basic Black Blends.
- Sand dune: Palms dies - Card 1: grass (with grass stalks cut off) White card coloured with Crumb Cake Blends. Card 2: Crumb Cake card. (see below)
- Grass: Palms dies Card 1: White card coloured with Shaded Spruce Blends. Card 2: Just Jade card.
- Palm Tree Fronds: from Palms die set - Card 1: White card coloured with Shaded Spruce Blends. Card 2: Shaded Spruce and Just Jade (retired) card. (see below)
- Palm Tree Trunk & Coconuts: from Palms die set - Card 1: White card coloured with Soft Suede Blends. Card 2: Soft Suede card (see below)
- Flowers: Card 1: White card coloured with Daffodil Delight Blends. Card 2: So Saffron and Polished Pink card.
- Sentiments - Amazing Year, Hippest Hippos
Thanks for visiting today. I have lots more hippos coloured and ready to become cards so keep an eye out for more. Check out all Hippest Hippo cards here and shop the supplies you need here in my Stampin' Up! store.
Get Free Hippos!