Friday 29 July 2011

Hello & goodbye Blossoms

I'm back again to show you another class project from last Saturday using the cute & very flexible single stamp, Hello Blossoms. I made 2 similar cards & couldn't decide which one to make with the girls, so I let them choose . Here's the first version (which is my fave)...
They're both very clean & simple, but I wanted to focus more on the techniques we used, namely omitting with markers, paper sueding & ruffling ribbon. The first includes more of these techniques than this simpler version.
There are a couple of differences - some more obvious than others:
DSP - the first is a fun print from the Nursery Specialty pack & the second is from the Sunny Garden pack. It's amazing how it changes the look.
Ribbon - The first has taffeta ribbon, which we ruffled - I showed the girls how to do this by fraying an end & pulling a centre thread to gather. The second is poppy parade poly ribbon, tied in a simple knot - quick & easy
Flowers - The flowers on the first card have a soft distressed look thanks to the paper sueding technique. On the second, the flowers are simply punched & the petals flicked up. the yellow flowers are textured card, which I really like.
You can see the detail better here. As an aside, I didn't realise when I took the pic in a hurry that the flowers had been a little flattened, but I haven't had a chance to take another pic...trust me, they look even cuter with a bit of flicking on the edge.
Here's the inside. Simple, but I think sweet. The flowers are sueded too.
Before I forget, I really wanted to show you my inspiration for the sueded flowers, which came from none other than the fabulous Shelli Gardner at Convention. The card below is a complete copy of Shelli's card except for the friend sentiment. Shelli used the hello letters from the flower centres to say...hello, but I wasn't that patient (lol). I really love love love this card, which is weird as it includes two things I very rarely do - tear paper & tilt panels, but go figure!
Unfortunately, I won't get to show you any more from Hello Blossoms, so I'll just leave you with a few more ideas to try yourself...
1. Use markers to ink up the ink up the stamp with different colours. Quick & very effective.
2. Omit part of the images to build a different look. As on these cards - ink the stem & scallop with an old olive marker & omit the flower heads. Add punched flowers, buttons or any other stamped flowers.
3. Omit some of the flowers to make a smaller pic - as I did for the inside of the card.
4. For the flower centres, use a simple punched circle, brad, rhinestone or pearl.
I'm sure there's lots more, but I'm out of time for now.

Just a final reminder that Hello Blossoms is only available until Sunday (for just $13.95 - bargain!) & I don't think it will carry over into our new Idea Book. I'd be very happy if it does though. Contact me for more info & leave a comment to say hi.
Until next time...
Inky wishes, Di

Supplies
Class Cards
Stamps: Hello Blossoms, Perfect Punches (birthday & friend sentiments), On Your Birthday (inside card)
Card/Paper: certainly celery, poppy parade, peach parfait, whisper white card, Nursery Suite Specialty DSP, Sunny Garden DSP
Ink: old olive marker
Accessories: basic pearls, celery taffeta ribbon, poppy parade poly ribbon
Tools: boho blossoms punch

Shelli's Card
Stamps: Hello Blossoms
Card/Paper: rich razzleberry, old olive card, Patterns DSP - Brights (olive & razzleberry), Newsprint DSP
Ink: old olive
Accessories: basic pearls, antique brad
Tools: designer label punch, boho blossoms punch

3 comments:

Christine Blain said...

Gorgeous, Di. The first card's my favourite, too. I love how you've used the Boho Blossoms punch to further enhance the cute stamps.

Paula Dobson said...

I cant believe I haven't made myself a follower of your gorgeous site before now Di!! But now I have found you, I can keep a beady eye on your rocking creations ♥♥ Love your work!

Sherylee said...

These are all super-cute cards Di!! Love your Shelli CASE :-)