Friday 11 December 2015

JAI292 inspiration challenge - Christmas luminaries


Christmas is in the air for our new Just Add Ink challenge & I absolutely love the inspiration images suggested by the lovely Nikki. The colours are a favourite Christmas combination of mine. Totally coincidentally, our Christmas tree is wearing the same silver, aqua & white colours this year too.
I created this week's inspiration project for a special thank you class / Christmas afternoon tea I ran for my regular class lovelies last Friday & Saturday. I wanted to make a Christmas decor project & have plenty of time to chat & share some treats too - so I designed easy Christmas luminaries.
My luminaries are basically an open ended box with a vellum window & battery tea light popped underneath, to add a lovely flickering light. This version has a pool party base, teamed with basic gray, smoky slate, & white, with some dazzling diamonds glimmer paper for the Sleigh Ride window scene.
Each person choose a colour & the scene they wanted in their window - here are all the versions we made - in mint macaron, real red & pool party.
More about my luminaries
You might notice that the village scene box on the left looks a bit different to the other two. This was the first version I made, which had a closed bottom, & unsealed top with a separate belly band to allow you access the box to switch off the tea light. I'd decided to make a simpler version with the class that left the bottom unsealed instead, so the paper & bow could be attached to the box for a neater look & less supplies, but as I was explaining my thoughts to my Friday gals, we decided that an open bottom box would be even easier to make & use, as it could just be popped over the tealight. So that's what we did. Aren't they a clever bunch. I've taught them well ;-). You can see the pretty bow better here.
Some further background - I'd initially made the box with my Gift Bag Punch Board (following the medium size box), which made it super easy to do, with no measuring. At the class I instead shared the measurements to cut & score it manually using our paper trimmers since the girls don't have the GBPB (yet ;-) ). We did however all use the GBPB to punch lovely neat tabs for our boxes - I think it's worth buying just for that purpose.

Once we scored the basic box, we cut a hole for the window using a square framelit, then added a Hearth & Home window frame die, die cut scene using the Sleigh Ride edgelit dies backed with some vellum embossed with the Softly Falling embossing folder. Some striped paper from the Neutrals 12x12 paper stack & a beautiful bow (gift bow die) made a special look. On the back, I added a white card panel stamped with a message if it's being given as a gift. We rounded the edges with my latest must have punch - the curvy corner trio punch. Love! Sorry, forgot to take a pic.

I shared some instructions with my gals, so they'd be able to make more to brighten someone elses Christmas. Please leave me a comment if you love the luminaries too & would like me to share full instructions to make them. This will help me see whether there's enough interest for me to invest the considerable pre-Christmas time involved.

Edited: Tues 15 December
TUTORIAL IS DONE!
Thanks very much to all the gals who've left lovely comments. Good news, I've completed the tutorial, including full instructions to measure & score it yourself, & also using the Gift Bag Punch Board, which makes it even quicker & easier. Please leave me a comment if you find my tutorial helpful, as I really love & appreciate hearing from you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vLPiDO8NjOZ3RrRXJxek5NVnc/view?usp=sharing

Downloading tips - when the document opens you'll see these options at the top to print or save/download it to your device etc.

To download/save it, you need to click the downward pointing arrow icon & then save. Don't choose the share option (the person with a +) as this doesn't work.

Thanks for visiting today. Remember to check out all the Design Team projects to see how they were inspired by the images & we'd love you to try the challenge too.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my project & my tutorial. Check out the supply list below to see what I used & order supplies. Remember to pin my project so you can find it again too. Here's a final combined pics.

Until next time.
Inky wishes, Di

Supplies
To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one. Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order. Note - Stamp sets & bundles noted below may be available in other mount options (eg wood, cling rubber or photopolymer). I have listed the option that I used. Please check the online store if your preference is different.

Product List

29 comments:

CAROL said...

HI DI, WOW, LOVE,LOVE THE CHRISTMAS LUMINARIES. WOULD LOVE TO MAKE THESE FOR FRIENDS THIS CHRISTMAS. COULD I GET INSTRUCTIONS? I JUST FOUND YOUR WEBSITE A FEW WEEKS AGO. YOU HAVE SOME GREAT PROJECTS.:) THANK YOU CAROL

Lesley Lendon said...

Love your luminaries! Would love the tutorial, pelase cosider doing one! Thanks.

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

Love these! I would love to make some, directions would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

OH these are just gorgeous. Box dimensions would be awesome. Have a lovely weekend. Cheers Donna Z :)

KimB said...

Di these are gorgeous - every single one of them! Love the little scenes you created and making them open ended so you can pop them over a light is such a simple solution. Love the bow topper too! xxx

The Queen (Laura) said...

Oh my goodness, these are fabulous! The windows are awesome! I would really LOVE the directions. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Kate said...

Oh yes, please give the instructions for these! They are marvelous! Would love to make them up for friends and family, maybe some all in white for my mantel.
Keeping my fingers crossed for the instructions! Kate

June Ferguson said...

Yes, yes, yes! I would love to have instructions for making these adorable little tea light boxes....pretty please? :-)
Thanks so much,
June in KS

Lynda said...

Hi Di,
These are indeed packed full of gift giving goodness. I am devastated that the sleigh thinlet set has sold out and is no longer available :( but I am sure there can be something else Festive substituted in the scene that wld wk just as well.......insert cogs ticking!!)
Instructions (both scored and GBPB) wld DEFINITELY be appreciated as too am v v slack and do not have the GBPB either.
Thank you so v v much for am amazing idea. I wish you and yours all the best for the Christmas season.
Lynda ooxx
(PS sorry if this is the 2nd time this comment comes up) ooxx

tory said...

Yes, I would love the instructions. This is so cute. Christmas Blessings.

tory said...

Yes, I would love the instructions. This is so cute. Christmas Blessings.

Jan said...

These are absolutely wonderful Di! So pretty and I love the effect of the glimmer scenes and embossed vellum when lit by the candle! So lovely - and I too would love to CASE this :-) xx

Sibylleherbe said...

These are lovely. I've been trying to come up with a version to give as a gift and I really like these. The idea of leaving the bottom open is brilliant. Thank you.

Kathy T said...

Have been dying to make a luminary with those framelits. Would love the instructions if you are willing and able! TFS!!

Trish *Spring Blossom* said...

WOW Di these look fantastic! I love the little scene you've created in the window:)

Patrice said...

What gorgeous little gift boxes, Di! Your class ladies are very lucky. Love the beautiful big bow to finish! x

Sharon said...

Love the little gift boxes! Could you be so kind of you have the time to send me some instructions for them.

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh I love these - what wonderful projects they are! Wish I had time to play around with something like these. You've done an amazing job with them!

Rene from OZ x said...

Many thanks Di.
Rene from OZ xo

Emma Goddard said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Hi! Love them and would appreciate instructions. Going to a crop this weekend and would love to make some then. :)

Kristin

ColourmehappyDi said...

Thanks, Kristin. The instructions off is linked in this post. Just click on the link & the pdf will open in Google drive, then click the download button (downward pointing arrow).
Hope you enjoy making them as much as my class did.
Di :-)

BK said...

I just came across this project on Pinterest. Thank you for taking the time to create the PDF instructions. I think that these would be a hit at our annual Church Holiday Fair.

ColourmehappyDi said...

You're very welcome, BK. Hope you have fun making them.
Di

Unknown said...

This is beautiful, I love luminaries. I would love the Directions!

depb said...

Love these little boxes. Thanks for the tutorial. I have the GBaPB and will make them with that but always like the scoring directions. I plan on making a small removable lid for the bottom so that they can be closed without it interfering with the way they stand. My brain is spinning with ways to decorate the edge of the small lid! I plan on giving them as small gifts for one of my card classes with a tea light and chocolate inside.

Anonymous said...

Love it thank you for the tutorial..

Miria said...

Thank you so much, your project is fab and your tutorial as well
Hugs, Miria

Anonymous said...

Love these! I just printed off the instructions and can't wait to give it a try!