Friday 13 May 2016

JAI 311 Just add masking & sneak peeks

It's new challenge time at Just Add Ink & this week Nikki wants us to just add masking! Masking is not a technique I've really used much but I took on the challenge & used it to create the background on this card.
I created the masked panel with shimmery white cardstock, a sponge dauber, rich razzleberry ink pad & a long piece of post-it tape.
First I masked & sponged an angled panel for the sentiment, moved the post-it, sponged again & repeated this process to create the series of rays above & below the panel. The panel was a little bigger to start with but I cut it down so I could add the mat & show more of the base.
I kept the rest of the card super simple - a razzleberry mat & butterfly backed in vellum. The shimmer card is really lovely irl too - maybe you'll see it a little if you click on the pic for a bigger image.

What's that you say - don't recognise the colour of the card base? Well that's because it's a sneak peek of our gorgeous new in-colour sweet sugarplum, coming on June 1st with the new annual catalogue. My photos don't show the loveliness of this colour - which is a softer purply-pink cousin to rich razzleberry & blackberry bliss. You can see more of it below on the card inside. The sentiment is also a sneak peek from a new set called Mixed Borders. I think it coordinates well with the sentiment from Tin of Cards, which I've used on the inside.
I included more masking inside & couldn't resist another butterfly. It's only attached at the body so it sort of pops out when the card is opened.
Here's one more look - I think you can see the vellum better in this one.
Thanks for visiting today. I hope my card inspires you to try some masking of your own.
Remember to head over to the Just Add Ink blog to see all the different masked projects the team & try the challenge yourself.

Before you go, remember to pin my card for later inspiration & leave a comment if you'd like as I love hearing from you.
Inky wishes, Di

Project Supplies
To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one.  Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order.
Note - Stamp sets & bundles noted below may be available in other mount options (eg wood, cling rubber or photopolymer). I have listed the option that I used, then alternative separate options at the bottom.. Please check the online store if your preference is different.



Sneak Peek Items - available 1 June
Mixed Borders photopolymer stamp set
A4 cardstock - sweet sugarplum
Items currently available
Print Recipe

Big Shot
$169.00

17 comments:

Rose Ann Marr said...

I had to give this one a second look. This card is exquisite, it has a peaceful aura about it, calming cool color. I can see this layout being used for many different style cards. I am definitely going to try this technique. Thank you for sharing your lovely cards.

Lou said...

This is just gorgeous Di. It is so striking. I love the inside too. Must try this type of masking.

KimB said...

What a stunning effect Di! This really knocked my socks off with its eye appeal :) Combining the dynamic pattern with the butterfly was a stroke of genius too! xxx

Kraftychick said...

Di, this is such an elegant card and so very unique - hope you don't mind if I try your idea!!! TFS!

Jan said...

Such a total WOW Di! Your masked angles are just amazing and the butterfly adds the perfect amount of elegance. Thanks for sharing how you created it too. xx

Anonymous said...

I love this Di, it's so eye catching. This is definitely on my list of techniques to do - so effective in the monochromatic colour scheme too. Chantell x x

Christine Blain said...

Wow, Di, that is one beautiful background! So clever, my friend. LOVE the addition of a vellum butterfly to help the other one 'pop', and I really like how you've added a butterfly to the inside centre fold. Lovely work. xx

Anonymous said...

What a stunning card. Lovely use of masking, and stunning shading.

Lisa :) said...

This is fabulous!!

TheMuffinMaker said...

Gorgeous card!

Patricia Gessner said...

I will have to try to make this for my daughters and my friends. This is totally awesomely beautiful!!!

Jenifer Anderson said...

OMG I love this technique how beautiful. Could you please do a youtube on it for me please
Jen

Unknown said...

this is fanrtastic could you please do a utube on this technique

Unknown said...

This butterfly card was beautiful. I would like to try this technic too. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I've never seen such a lovely masked ray card as yours! And you doubled the ray pattern...wow! And the way you placed the smaller butterfly inside is charming also. What a beauty!

Anita said...

This card is Awesome.....anyway to get a video showing how you did it.....

Jacq said...

I saw this on Pinterest and had to come see "in person!" It is absolutely gorgeous, I've never seen masking like that before and certainly will give it a try myself! Thank you for the inspiration!