Friday 19 August 2016

JAI 325 sketch challenge - Falling Flowers

It's Friday (yay!) so we have a new challenge for you at Just Add Ink & Tina has suggested this very flexible sketch.


The weather has turned very warm in Sydney over the last couple of days so I made a bright, happy card to celebrate that Winter's on it's way out... I hope.


I used one of my newest purchases from the Annual Catalogue - the Falling Flowers stamp & die bundle. If you're thinking 'Another flower set?' Well, yep, I totally cannot resist a beautiful flower & these are fab as the flower outlines can be coloured, embossed,  or both.... & cut out for you too. No fussy cutting here - yippee! :) But I digress...

The card is all about the flowers so the other elements are simple but not boring - I used chevron paper (Pop of Pink dsp pack) to represent the squiggly line in the sketch, leaving the bold flower cluster to be the star.  The 'for you' is from Thoughtful Branches - had to sneak that one in again - I can't resist that script handwriting font.

Back to the flowers - first I stamped the flower & leaf images onto shimmer white cardstock (so shimmery!) in basic gray archival ink onto, which is waterproof & gives a softer look than black, then watercoloured & cut them out.

The shimmer card gives a different look than colouring on watercolour paper - the smooth & shimmery finish  accepts more blending & water than regular or thick white, but not as much as watercolour paper. This is definitely what I'd call 'messy colouring' as it's not as smooth & blended as I'd normally like but I still like the effect. Here's a closer look.


I used my aquapainter & ink from the ink pad lids; melon mambo & rich razzleberry for the large flower, melon membo for the buds, daffodil delight for the small flowers, rich razzleberry for the tiny flowers & wild wasabi for the leaves. I coloured the pink pearls with a sharpie pen.

I carried the theme over to the inside, leaving lots of room for a message. I like to leave 'for you' cards blank until I need them.



Well that's my take on the sketch, so now it's your turn. Check out all the team's projects here on the Just Add Ink blog & link up your challenge project too.

Thanks for visiting today. If you'd like more info on my card, just leave a comment. Here's a final combined image to pin for later. Check out my supply list below to see & order anything I've used.



Inky wishes
Di


Supplies
To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one.  Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order.
Note - Stamp sets & bundles noted below may be available in other mount options (eg wood, cling rubber or photopolymer). I have listed the option that I used, then some alternative separate options at the bottom.. Please check the online store if your preference is different.





5 comments:

KimB said...

This really does have such a lovely spring feel Di! Love your bright mix of colours and think your choice of DSP was inspired! xxx

Nikki Spencer said...

Loving those pretty vibrant blooms Di and such a lovely bright use of the sketch. xx

Christine Blain said...

The colourful cluster of flowers is gorgeous, Di. I really like the contrast provided by the black chevron paper, and sentiment, too. Our promise of Spring seems to have disappeared; Melbourne's in for a cold, miserable week!

Jan said...

Such a beautifully vibrant use of the sketch, Di! I love the way you've matched the bright colours with the bold chevron DSP too - such a lovely contrast. xx

Patrice said...

Soooo pretty, Di. Gorgeous vibrant blooms, so spring like. Canberra also had gorgeous warm weather last week....until the weekend when it turned bitter icy cold. I love the strip of dark designer paper you've used, it's a terrific contrast. xx