Friday 9 February 2018

JAI 395 inspiration challenge - birthday cake soiree



Yay, it's Friday and time for a new challenge at Just Add Ink. This week, Kelly has given us this gorgeous scene to use as inspiration. One I'd love to see it in real life.



Beautiful, huh? I couldn't stop looking at the gorgeous blossoms so these formed the basis of this card, made for my stamping bff's birthday. I really hope she doesn't see my post before I give her the card later today. 😊


The card is made with the Cake Soiree stamp set & Sweet Cake die set (get 10% off them both when you buy together in the Cake Soiree bundle). Everything just coordinates so beautifully that it's easy to

First I created my own blossom background with a small blossom stamp from the new Cake Soiree stamp set. I repeatedly stamping rows of blossoms in rich razzleberry, sweet sugarplum, powder pink, & pink pirouette ink, stamping off between colours to create a smoother transition. I adhered a layer of vellum over the bottom half of the card to soften some of the colours too.


I chose the beautiful floral cake image in the Cake Soiree stamp set for my focal image. It makes me smile as it reminds me of my floral wedding cake. My friend is also an amazing baker so I hope she likes it too.

The cake is stamped in basic grey archival ink & water coloured in sweet sugarplum, powder pink & pear pizzazz ink using an aquapainter, & topped the flowers with clear Wink of Stella (I'm obsessed!) a compulsory addition to all cards these days). Then I cut out & adhered to the pretty stand (both cut with the coordinating Sweet Cake die set, as is the silver flower shape.

I extended the largest Stitched Shapes square die to cut the powder pink rectangle, then added 2 white squares behind it to form another layer - the join is hidden behind the banner. #sneaky
Shimmer ribbon & my favourite iridescent sequins add some sparkly finishing touches.


Inside I've added sentiments (from Beautiful Bouquet) a skinny blossom strip & a little more sliver foil (you can see how much bolder the colours look without the vellum on top.

So that's my take on this week's challenge. I hope it's inspired you in some way.  Now head over to the Just Add Ink blog to see all the team's fabulous creations.

Inky wishes, Di


Want more? If you love the Cake Soiree bundle too, you'll be excited to know that you'll get to choose a free Sale-a-bration item when you order it (or any other $90 purchase before shipping) until 31 March. Click on the Sale-a-bration image to see all the free choices available.
More new choices will be added on 16 February too.

http://www3.stampinup.com/ECWeb/ItemList.aspx?dbwsdemoid=4000625&categoryid=300010
 Supplies 
To see & order any items used in today's projects, click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to help you with your papercrafting needs as your Demonstrator if you don't already have one.
Aqua Painters
$20.00
Big Shot
$159.00

4 comments:

KimB said...

That floral background is quite stunning Di, I'm glad you said how you did it as I wanted to know! You balanced your colours beautifully and that cake - well it's too pretty to eat! xxx

Jan said...

So stunning Di! I love your ombré background and how soft and pretty it looks with the added vellum. Your cake details are gorgeous too and I love how you’ve offset your layers and all the pretty sparkle and shine. xx

Lou said...

You had me running to grab that DSP .... until I read your post! I love how you created that stunning ombre background. Perfect backdrop for that gorgeous cake.

Christine Blain said...

This is the most beautiful card I've seen, using Cake Soiree, Di. I'm sure your friend was blown away by this gorgeous work of art. x