Thursday 28 February 2008

Spring explosion box


I made this box waaay back in October... before my blogging days started. Some of my customers have been asking how to make it lately, so I thought I'd share it with you all.
It's called an explosion box because the base of the box base is just held in shape by the lid of the box & opens out when you take the lid off, to show a greeting or other surprise. The finished size is approx 3 inches across by 2 ½ inches high, so it's great for small gifts, like chocolate or other yummies. I got the original template from the demonstrator part of the Stampin' Up!® website (another perk of being a Demonstrator, but don't get me started on that or I'll never finish this post!), & adapted the size to fit on an aussie A4 sheet. I've also seen instructions at Splitcoast.



For this project, I used the 'Looks Like Spring' & Cheery Chat sets. I'm very happy that 'Looks Like Spring' is not retiring, as I use it a lot. How can you resist a set with co-ordinating papers & a punch? Anyway, onto some info on how I made the box.
The base is an 8 inch square of bashful blue card, stamped with the large flower and bashful blue ink. I scored & folded it to form the box shape. Then, I stamped a square of very vanilla card with the diamond background in bashful blue ink & the thank you greeting in close to cocoa ink & mounted it with dimensionals onto a square of close to cocoa card. The lid is a 7 ¼ inch x 5 ¼ inch piece of very vanilla card, which is stamped with the 3 flower stamp & then scored & folded it into the lid shape. Then, I used the rock & roll technique to stamp a large flower with bashful blue & close to cocoa inks onto a square of very vanilla card. Then I stamped a small matching flower in close to cocoa ink, punched it out with the spring bouquet punch & attached it to the large flower piece with a gold brad. I mounted the square on another square of close to cocoa card & attached it to the lid.
If you'd like more information on how to make the box, just drop me an e-mail & I'll send you a detailed instruction sheet and template. 

edited 25 July 2014
You can now view & download the instructions to make my explosion box here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vLPiDO8NjOemtRX0F2NmRyeFU/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vLPiDO8NjOemtRX0F2NmRyeFU/edit?usp=sharing

PS: Just realised this box matches the colours of the stem card in my last post. Totally unintentional! Who knew I already liked that combo in October?

1 comment:

Sam said...

Hi Diane,

This little box is Gorgeous! I love the colours and design.

Have a great weekend,
Sam.