Monday 23 January 2012

Merry Christmas pennant banner

The next project I have for you is a Merry Christmas banner we made in my November class & was a really fun one to make.
click on the pics for a bigger version
My gorgeous friend Kellie designed the banner & I loved it so much & knew my class ladies would too, that I asked her if I could use it for my class. It's a bit tricky to fit & light 1.2 metres of banner in a photo though!
Here's a single pennant to show more detail!
The colours I used are riding hood red, old olive, certainly celery and early espresso together with the Letters to Santa & striped Patterns (celery & olive) DSPs. The DSP circle & scallop circle are punched out, pierced & attached to the pennant. The letters are of course from my very well used Timeless Type alphabet die set.  I used linen thread to hold the banner together, but our new Bakers Twine (Summer Mini) would be perfect for this project too.

It looks like a bit of work to make, but as the pennants & flags & letters are cut using the petal cone die (see the pic below) & the circles are punches, it's pretty quick.
Each die cut makes 2 pennants. Simply cut off the tab & then cut the remaining cones in half. The rounded end is simply folded over the string & adhered - easy!  The flags are cut out in early espresso card, folded in half over the string. Al little pearl adds some shine.
Since the banner is something I'd like to use each year, we all made a simple tab box to store it in. I made it big enough to make it easy to fit the banner in, but small enough to protect it. Wrapping it in some tissue will also help it to stay together in the box too. This is a decorated version, in case it's for a gift, but you could just make a plain version too.
I think that's all I need to say for now. Hope you love this idea & are thinking of all the other occasions you can make banners for. I'm thinking I need one in my moved & almost complete new stamp room.
If you like this idea, leave me a comment to say hi & I'll pass it on to Kellie too (she's a bit of a bad blogger these days but I still love you heaps Kellie!).
Back again soon.
Inky wishes, Di

Supplies:
Card/Paper: riding hood red, old olive, certainly celery and early espresso card, Letters to Santa DSP & Patterns DSP (celery & olive stripes)
Accessories: basic pearls, linen thread
Tools: Big Shot, Petal cone die, Timeless Type junior alphabet dies,  punches: xl scallop circle die, 1 3/4 inch circle punch, piercing tool

3 comments:

Andrea said...

What an awesome project, Di! I love it.

Tracey said...

This is a gorgeous banner! I volunteered to make a birthday banner for a niece, and this idea fits the bill perfectly. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

H2 :) said...

Your banner looks sensational Di & the matching box is perfect! :)