Thursday 14 September 2017

Star quilt frame for sweetest girl



Did you see the star quilt birthday card I made for the sweetest 1 year old? Today I'm sharing the project that inspired that card - a framed star quilt for the birthday girl. Stella means star so the star quilt square from the Christmas Quilt bundle was perfect.



I chose a combination of whisper white, pink pirouette, pool party and smoky slate for my quilt squares. Sweet for a little person, but will work as she gets older too. Here's hoping anyway.

To start, I die cut multiple star quilt squares in each of these colours, and played around until I made  three colour-pattern combinations I liked, that played well together in a nine patch arrangement.  I pieced each square together onto multi-purpose adhesive sheets, then ran each completed square through the Big Shot with the stitched star die. I love the look it gave.


I cut the letters in silver foil and backed them with a layer of thick card  for extra strength (yay for our dsp backing sheets). I mounted them with dimensionals onto a banner of vellum, to help the letters stand out from of the quilt panels.  Here's how the finished panel looked before it went into the shadow box frame.


I included a layer of fun foam between the the quilt layer and textured pink pirouette cardstock base (sadly retired).


The final step was popping it into the shadow box frame (from Ikea). The hardest thing was photographing it in the frame without glass reflections. Thanks to my big girl for lending me her fluffy throw to use as a photo backdrop.


So that's it. I was pretty thrilled with how it turned out. I hope you like it and that it gives you some ideas to try too. If you have any questions, just leave a comment. You can see and shop for all supplies I used below.

Thanks for visiting today.  I have lots more to share so pop back soon to see what I've been making. Remember to pin my frame for later inspiration.

Inky wishes, Di

PS: See the whole Quilted Christmas suite on pages 4-5 of the Holiday Catalogue, or see and shop the Holiday Catalogue in my online store.

http://www3.stampinup.com/ECWeb/ItemList.aspx?dbwsdemoid=4000625&categoryid=300200

Project Supplies
To see & order any items used in today's project, just click on the items below to see them in my Online Store. You can order from me if you live anywhere in Australia. I would love to be your Demonstrator if you don't already have one.  Please allow "Demonstrator contact" in your preferences so I can thank you properly when you place your order.

Note: Actual items I used are listed first. Alternative purchase options are listed at the bottom of the supply list.
Product bundles noted are discounted by 10% off individual purchase prices for a limited time. Items can be purchased separately after bundle offers end.
Retired & non SU items: 12x12 pink pirouette textured cardstock, & fun foam.



Big Shot
$159.00

1 comment:

Bernadet said...

Gorgeous done Di!
I saw a while ago your great easel card: snowman with tea light.
Wanna let you know I made something like that to. Of course I Linked it to your name too.